Sacrament of Confirmation
St. Boniface and St. Mary parishes have come together to provide a parish based program to help parents and youth entering 8th grade prepare to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.
Who is responsible for preparing my child for the Sacrament?
Parents are the primary teachers of the Faith (CCC #1653) and therefore are responsible for preparing their child for the Sacraments. The Church understands that this task can be very challenging and helps by providing avenues of faith formation through the parish, especially for sacrament preparation. Those preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation who wish to participate in the parish preparation process will follow the path outlined below.
Who is eligible to participate in the parish preparation process?
- All youth entering 8th Grade who have been enrolled in Catholic School for the prior year, or who have been enrolled in the parish religious education program for 7th grade.
- Baptized Catholic (or Received into the Catholic Church) and have received First Communion
If you do not meet the above requirements, please contact the parish offices about other options to prepare your child.
How does the preparation process work?
- All Candidates - will prepare together as a parish community on specific dates. (See Calendar)
- Catholic School Candidates - will receive further preparation during their normal religion classes.
- Non-Catholic School Candidates (Christian School, Home School, and Public School) - will receive further preparation through CCD on Wednesday evenings.
**Please note that 8th grade candidates not attending Catholic school must attend all CCD Nights as a required part of the preparation process. Those in Catholic school are encouraged to attend CCD to enrich classroom learning and build a closer Catholic community, but this is not required.
What are the events that the Parish does together?
- Orientation Meeting - First meeting of Parents, Sponsors, and Candidates to get a handle on what to expect from the preparation process.
- Pentecost Mass - All Candidates for Confirmation will receive their preparation packet during this Mass after a special blessing is given to them as they begin their journey to the Sacrament.
- Investiture Mass - a Mass specifically for the candidates to verbally express their desire to receive the sacrament to the Parish and in turn, receive parish support through prayer and recognition.
- Confirmation Retreat - a life changing overnight experience to help all 8th grade candidates connect the "head" knowledge they have acquired about Christ with their heart so that the Church's Faith can penetrate and become their faith.
- Sacrament of Confirmation - the day which the Sacrament of Confirmation is conferred on all candidates and we celebrate as a parish community.
How much does the Parish preparation process cost?
There is no cost to the Confirmation program, however, some events can carry a fee, for instance, the Confirmation Retreat. Costs are published by the Office of Religious Education. For any family that is unable to pay, please contact the Director of Religious Education. No one is refused due to lack of funds.
How do I sign my child up?
Please contact the parish office for more information.
What can I do to help?
There are many volunteer opportunities throughout the preparation process. We are always in need of helpers to set up and tear down for events, chaperones for the retreat, and much more. Contact the parish offices to sign up